unGlue (Cost: Free version or premium for $9.99 per month) -
- Set limits on screen time
- Set a recurring device schedule
- Get usage reports
- Remotely turn off the internet to an individual device or to all devices
Circle with Disney WiFi router (Cost: $99) -
- Set daily limits for each device
- Set a bedtime and an awake time for when devices will disconnect from the Wifi then reconnect
- Set filters for each family member or use Circle’s 4 preset age levels
- Pause internet access
- See usage reports
iPhone Settings (Cost: Free) -
- iPhone users can see the time they spend on apps by going to Settings>Battery then click the clock in the upper right hand corner of the menu
- You can see how many hours are spent on what apps in the last 24 hours or the last 7 days
Moment (Cost: Free version or Pro for $3.99 per month) -
- Tracks how much you use your phone during the day
- Sets screen time limits
- Gives usage reports
Pocket Points (Cost: Free) -
- A great app for students
- Gain points by keeping your phone locked when you’re on campus
- Use points to get discounts and coupons to businesses near you
- Pocket Points is popular among college students and is trying to grow their high school presence
- You can request a high school or university on the app
OurPact (Cost: Free version or premium for $4.99 per month) -
- The control phone can block other phones for any period of time and unblock at any time
- Set a recurring device schedule
- Block specific apps
- Block access to apps
- Organize apps into groups and set rules
- Set time limits
- Set recurring device schedule
- Block content
Screen Time Parental Control (Cost: Free version or Premium for $4.99 per month) -
- Set time limits for enrolled devices
- Set bedtime and school time restrictions for specific apps
- Pause a device or give Bonus time
- Block all apps at lights out
Torch WiFi router (Cost: $249.99 plus $9.99 per month) -
- Pause the internet by profile, or for all
- Set customizable recurring device schedules
- See amount of screen time
- Create a unique profile for each device
MONITORING & BLOCKING
OurPact - Mobile guidance for your family, available for iOS and Android
Screen Time - Parental controls for iOS, Android and Kindle devices
Circle with Disney - Parents can filter content, limit screen time and set a bedtime for every device in the home.
Curbi - Parental controls for Android and Apple mobile devices
ParentKit - Control and schedule what is on your child's iPod, iPad or iPhone
NetSanity - Parental controls for iOS
FamilyTime - Parental controls for iOS and Android
Net Nanny - Parental controls for Android and iOS
Mobile Fence - Parental controls and GPS tracking for Android devices
Verizon Family Base - Monitor wireless activity and set usage limits
AT&T Parental Controls - Manage internet and email activity on computers
T-Mobile Family Allowances - Manage minutes, messages and downloads on phones
Sprint Mobile Controls - Monitor phone usage
XFINITY TV Online parental controls - Restricts what children can watch online
unGlue - Sets limits on content as well as time
Moment - An iOS app that automatically tracks how much you use your iPhone and iPad each day. If you’re using your phone too much, you can set daily limits.
Checky - For both iOS and Android, Checky lets you track and geographically map your phone use.
Think your kid (or you) could be a screen zombie? Take the 'Screenagers' test - Los Angeles Times
Learning How to Exert Self-Control - New York Times
Compulsive Texting Associated with Poorer School Performance Among Girls - American Psychological Association
Compulsive Texting Takes Toll on Teenagers - New York Times
Teaching Self-Control Tips - Provides evidence-based information about parenting and child development.
Family Online Safety Institute - International, non-profit organization that works to make the online world safer for kids and their families.
Psychology Today's Parenting in a Digital Age - This blog explores how parents and children might live together meaningfully in a digital age.
Common Sense Media - Empowers parents, teachers, and policymakers by providing unbiased information, trusted advice, and innovative tools to help them harness the power of media and technology as a positive force in all kids’ lives.
Empowering Parents - Committed to providing parents with sound advice through podcasts, an active blogging community and parenting programs.
Above The Fray - Program to educate parents and teachers about what life is really like online for young people and to give adults the tools they need to begin meaningful dialogues at home and at school.
Richard Freed, Ph.D. - Child and adolescent psychologist, speaker and author of "Wired Child: Reclaiming Childhood in a Digital Age".